Worried about the impending boba shortage? No problem, we got you covered. Here’s how to make your own boba drink from the comfort of your own home!
This recipe is a refreshing twist on the traditional royal milk tea you usually get at your local boba store. Sukoshi Mart’s Strawberry Milk Tea consists of fresh strawberry tapioca pearls and Nitto Strawberry Royal Milk Tea – which is the perfect combination of sweet strawberry milk and black tea. When combined it is a delicious drink perfect for the upcoming summer months.
Strawberry Tapioca Pearls
Tapioca Starch ⟶ This is the main ingredient for the pearls. It is common for tapioca starch to also be sold as tapioca flour.
Strawberries ⟶ Frozen or fresh strawberries can be used for this recipe. However, fresh strawberries are often sweeter and are easier to work if. If you are using frozen strawberries, allow them to thaw first.
Sugar ⟶ We used white granulated sugar for this recipe, but any type of sugar can be used.
Nitto Strawberry Royal Milk Tea ⟶ You can purchase this in-store or online at SukoshiMart.com
Royal Strawberry Milk Tea
Nitto Strawberry Milk Tea is a royal milk tea that consists of powdered strawberry juice from Japan’s Fukuoka prefecture, domestic black tea leaves, and whole milk powder from Hokkaido. These teas come as instant powders in convenient, individual packets.
Instructions (How to Brew):
- In a cup, combine 1 packet of Nitto Strawberry Milk Tea and hot water.
- Stir well to combine powder.
- Enjoy hot or cold!
Tools You Will Need:
- 3 mixing bowls
- 1 pot
- Rolling pin ⟶ To knead and strawberry tapioca dough
- Blender ⟶ To speed up the process, you can blend the strawberries to a pulp
Recipe: Strawberry Royal Milk Tea Boba with Strawberry Pearls
- 1 cup tapioca starch
- 3-4 strawberries
- 1 tablespoon of water (15g)
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon sugar (20g)
- 1 packet of Nitto Strawberry Royal Milk Tea
- In a bowl, mash 3-4 strawberries to a pulp and add 1 tablespoon of water. Mix and strain with a sieve to make it smooth.
- In a pot over medium heat, combine strawberry mixture and 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon of sugar. Mix until it starts to boil and then let simmer on the lowest heat setting for 2 minutes.
- In the pot over low heat, add 1/2 cup of tapioca starch to the strawberry and mix. Do this for 6-7 seconds and remove from heat immediately.
- Flour a clean surface with tapioca starch. Start kneading mixture. If the dough is too dry, add a few drops of water. If the dough is too wet, add more tapioca starch. Knead until it is smooth and resembles dough-like consistency.
- Roll out the dough to form tiny tapioca pearls. Powder pearls with tapioca starch to prevent sticking during Step 6.
- Cook tapioca pearls in a pot of boiling water. Boil for 10-15 minutes depending on the size of pearls. Remove and transfer pearls to iced water to prevent further cooking. Set aside.
- Prepare Nitto Strawberry Royal Milk Tea packet as per package instructions.
- In a glass, combine strawberry tapioca pearls and strawberry milk tea. Serve and enjoy!
- Sifting the tapioca starch before adding them to the strawberry mixture will prevent any clumps. This makes the dough smoother and easier to work with.
- When combining the tapioca starch and strawberry mixture, it’s important to remove from heat as soon as possible. This prevents the mixture from becoming too sticky.
- The tapioca pearls will slightly expand during the boiling process. It's best to form your tapioca pearls slightly smaller than your preferred size.
- When boiling the tapioca pearls, gently stir the water every so often to prevent them from sticking to one another.
- For a creamier strawberry milk tea, substitute the hot water for warmed milk when preparing the drink.